Ostomy issues – gas & odor
Managing gas and odor with your ostomy.
Certain foods may create excessive gas and odor. To decrease gas during the immediate post-operative period, avoid carbonated beverages, sipping through a straw, smoking, gas-producing foods, and skipping meals.
- Detectable odor is only anticipated when emptying or changing the pouch. If odor is noticed when not emptying or changing the pouch, the adhesive seal or closure is compromised.
- Pouches with filters allow excessive gas to exit the pouch without odor.
- Talk to your healthcare professional about using pouches with charcoal filters. A charcoal filter allows odor to be filtered out of the pouch along with gas.
- A liquid odor eliminator can also be used in the pouch to decrease odor.
A filter is a feature available on some pouches which allows gas to escape from the pouch. Filters may be integrated in the pouch during manufacturing or purchased separately and added to the pouch.
- Drainable pouches with an opening at the bottom have a clamp or integrated closure to keep the pouch closed until it istime to empty. These are available with and without filter for gas release.
- Closed End pouches, without an opening or clamp are also available with and without filters for gas release.
For further information, talk to one of our manufacturer-trained Ostomy Specialists to learn how Liberator Medical’s ostomy products can help.
We provide these free services:
- Access to Product Specialists to help you get the best ostomy products for your needs
- Customer Support -access to the most up-to-date ostomy news and information
- Online chat with ostomy specialists -a fast and discreet way to discuss sensitive issues
Call to speak with a specialist: 855-948-3319
Still have questions?
Tips & guides
When it comes to ostomy supplies, there are many product choices and options to consider. Let us help.
We know you have lots of good questions. We’ve compiled a list of answers.
Talk to a specialist
Our experts are ready and waiting to answer your questions and provide you with the best solutions for your needs.
Submit your details and we’ll contact you to answer your questions about ostomy supplies and discuss your needs.